Halloween is one of the hardest times of year to avoid unhealthy treats, especially if you have young children in your life. It seems as though everyone opts for high-sugar Halloween candies that are filled with artificial colors and flavors, not to the mention saturated fats and high calorie levels in most candy treats.
Many people start experiencing weight creep around Halloween that sticks with them for the rest of the fall and winter. If you’re hoping to avoid the Halloween sugar binge this year, there are several healthier options you can provide for your trick-or-treaters, your family members, and yourself to get through the sweet holiday season. Healthy Halloween treats don’t have to be boring. In fact, they might become everyone’s favorite part of the evening.
Looking for some great options to hand out on Halloween? In addition to non-food treats like stickers, bouncy balls, and other small toys, you can find a variety of healthier Halloween treats that are just as tasty as candy. Keep in mind that in some cases, what you can hand out will depend on your trick-or-treaters: wary parents who don’t know you personally will prefer prepackaged treats or fruits still in their peel, while well-known friends and family members probably won’t mind if you take a more creative direction and do some of your own cooking.
- Clementines drawn to look like jack-o-lanterns are sure to be a hit!
- Choose a natural brand of popcorn and hand out the bags or, if you know all of your trick-or-treaters, pop it up yourself in an air popper to share.
- Try giving out pumpkin seeds, which are known to be a nutritional powerhouse.
- Wrap up bananas to look like mummies.
- Try giving out healthy granola bars. Parents will love not having to worry about breakfast the next morning!
One of the best things about Halloween is that it gives you the chance to get in touch with your creative side. You can create anything you can imagine, designing incredible dishes that appeal to young and old alike. Whether you’re creating a mummy pizza or turning an orange into a pumpkin, there are a variety of great options that will let you create a fantastic spread without piling on the unhealthy foods.
- Create protein-packed deviled eggs with a little extra paprika to look like pumpkins or use an olive for the eyes. You can even add a healthy bonus punch by using avocado as part of the filling.
- Cut cheese into a variety of fun shapeswith Halloween cookie cutters to add a rich source of calcium to your party table.
- Turn skewers full of grapes into worms that will be sure to enchant all your party-going friends.
- Cut sandwiches made on whole grain bread into a variety of Halloween-appropriate shapes: pumpkins, owls, and ghosts are all plenty of fun!
This Halloween, don’t let your sweet tooth get the better of you! Instead, try out some of these fun, healthy treats that will allow you and the kids in your life to enjoy the thrills and chills of the season without putting your health on the line. From the perfect snack for a party to the ideal trick-or-treat experience, you can enjoy plenty of treats that are good for you!